Dance for God You asked me the other day for my opinion on worship dance.
But of course, being me, I didn't have an answer for that since I hadn't properly formed all the sentences to my thoughts.
Do I think worship dance is okay?
Well that depends on the context.
I think dance can be a great creative and expressive method to honour God. I personally think worship dance could do some great things for evangelism and showing people what an excellent community life Christians have.
However in my opinion, there are issues with the Korean-Australian worship dances of generation X. I think music culture (in general) in the western world has grown to be very individualistic. Dance is not really a community thing anymore is it? I always liked those scenes in movies like Big Fish or LOTR where the people would dance together and everyone would join in. Have you ever read about the days of King David who danced with all his might (for God)? I bet when King Solomon brought God's people to their pinnacle there were some great worship dances. Wouldn't it be nice to live in a place like that!
Unfortunately for us 2nd generation Koreans in Sydney, it looks like those days are over. Because it's no longer a group thing, dance and music is in a very look-at-me pop-culturised form, and not everyone can join in, which doesn't do much for the self-confidence of people. The worship dances I've seen in the past few years at my (and similar) church/s have very much been influenced by this. Really, only the more popular (more secular?) students ever take part in high school worship dance. Usually, the dances can't really be distinguished from the advertising dancers that you see everywhere in Korea. It's not as fun, and since you have to watch, it's more fun thinking of snide comments about the dance instead. Not very nice aye!
I think if I was in charge of worship dance in the church I would tell the majority of worship dancers they would have to scrap their routine. Make one fun for everyone, not sexy, not one that copies popular music, not one that gives honour and glory to people and trendiness. One that shows what it is like to be loved by God and chosen to be saved by him. One that thanks God by dancing and moving. That's worship dance!
A job that pays for your thoughts. That's gotta be one of the best kinds of jobs. Actually, any non-physical job does that. So we are just machines after all. That's pretty sad.. Thanks God for Jesus once again!