Today is the election day for Australia in deciding who is the next PM!
Monsieur Hoowards ideals on national progress are about keeping on top of the global economy- I think that is a fair ideal. But he is overlooking (thus sacrificing) business ethics and the value of the Australian family! Why plug so much money into the private school sector? Does he believe that education is a business, or a user-pay system? Why do 100+K workers receive so much financial support from the government? Why are big businesses such as Coles so highly valued and smaller markets unsustained? In doing this, the H Government is most effectively scraping away the underdogs (backbone) of Australian society. Monsier Hooward, are you a capitalist? Is that why now more than 50% of Australian clothes are made in sweatshops in China? If having a good economy is at the expense of the Aussie strugglers and other nations, I'll say no thank you Monsieur Howward.
What I want to know is, what are Monsieur Lathams opinions on reconciliation? If he really is about progress, which in my eyes should be called "progress towards a happier, healthier phyiscally and mentally (spiritually?), safer, and smarter people", what of the history of Australia? Doesn't there need to be an appreciation between the native owners of this land (and not just for tourism and SydneyOlypmics-ish benefits)? What of reparation of the scars left by the settlers on the indigenous (which are actually more recent than you think- the stolen generations are in my classrooms)? True progress for Australians would be to reconcile with Aborigines and create a better social environment. At the height of Australia's economy in the 60's (where one AU=2US), everything was being made in Australia for Australians, clothes and shoes had value, food was bought off your neighbour, and Aboriginal rights activism was high. That's when people will take notice of Australia and want to be here and bring good economy.
I made a superduper recipe for chocolate cookies last night! I'm off to see if it really is as super as I think it is.. :D
May God's purpose and direction for Australia be fulfilled in the elections today.